The Importance of Sustainable Storage
Sustainability is more than just the quality of a product. It is a commitment to protect the earth and give back to our local communities by working with environmentally friendly manufacturers. At Donnegan Systems, we work to preserve the availability of natural resources for future generations by working with green manufacturers, and by implementing sustainable storage where we can.
How are we sustainable?
When people think of storage they usually think of heavy metal shelving – and the word sustainable rarely comes to mind. We aim to change that preconception by providing solutions that use up less of Earth’s resources. Here are just a handful of ways to implement green solutions in your project:
- The High Density and Static Shelving that we offer contains 75% of recycled steel.
- Use solutions that can also be constructed to include an optional NAUF particle board.
- Incorporate sustainable materials such as acrylic and glass.
- Use a storage provider whose systems can be reconstructed, reused, and relocated to prolong life.
Here are some ways our solutions can help you gain LEED certification or increase the sustainability of your project:
- Use special NARA (National Records and Archives Administration) approved archival shelving and maximized box storage.
- Incorporate a lighting system that interacts with the mobile system to only use lights in active carriages.
- Utilize High-Density Shelving to reduce the storage footprint- contributing to “Protecting and Restoring Habitat”… Credit 5.1: (Site Development) under Category 1: (Sustainable Sites)
- Bay lighting integration can create the potential to obtain points for Optimizing Energy Performance …Credit 1 under Category 3: (Energy and Atmosphere)
- Utilize HDMS automatic aisle lights to reduce energy consumption.
- Using High Density can reduce your storage space or space in general, which can also lower your operating costs, contributing to LEED Category 3: (Energy and Atmosphere)- Credit 1: (Optimize Energy Performance)
Materials and Resources:
- A lot of people don’t realize that we can often use a lot of what you already have for storage, and just repurpose it for your new needs. You can add cabinets, shelving, pallet racking, and more to HDMS without having to buy a whole new system.
- Renovating versus building new is always a positive thing and can contribute to Category 4: (Materials and Resources) ; Credit 1.1: (Building Reuse—Maintain Existing Walls, Floors and Roof)
- Things like end panels can also be designed to incorporate a translucent resin product, which uses recycled content and enables additional daylight to flow through the space.
Indoor Environmental Quality:
- Low visual impact on surrounding buildings can contribute to the Indoor Environmental Quality
- Utilizing the extensive use of glass, translucent acrylic, and custom metallic paint to reflect light and open the space up more.
- Getting a storage specialist involved can help you gain LEED Certification in Daylight and Views, Credits 8.1 and 8.2, as well as Category 5: Indoor Environmental Quality
Innovation & Design:
- Seattle Central Library worked with local storage expert to design this high-density mobile gift shop
- Totally innovative approach that literally demonstrates “out-of-the-box” thinking and takes the notion of “flexible storage” to the extreme
- Manual system outfitted with carriage locks to position carriages & lock down the shop at end of day
- Equipped with shelving accessories to merchandise retail products
- Includes wiring chases within each carriage to provide power to the lighting & accessories within each carriage
- The reduction of building material used in construction can contribute to LEED certification category 6 –(Innovation and Design)
Key Components of green manufacturing
- Recycled content
- Regional materials
- Rapidly renewable materials
- Certified wood – FSC
- Low-emitting materials
- Employee health and safety (social responsibility)
- Recycling Programs
- Lean Processes
Key components of a local partner
- Storage expertise
- Product showroom
- System design & drawings, Including BIM Objects
- Cost analysis/projected costs
- Installation & service
- Documentation supporting LEED
We are happy to assist you in any of your storage and space planning needs, and we can provide you with additional information on how our solutions are sustainable and can contribute to your sustainable projects.